WHY IS GROUND BEEF SO HIGH?
To feed our family of five for one meal this 1.5 lb of ground beef cost almost $6.00. I gasped because the meals that I had planned to prepare involved alot of meat., but at these prices I couldn’t afford to buy the meat.
I am picky I won’t just buy the big round package of meat that is at WalMart. The lean meat is what I like to purchase, but it is even higher. It is priced at about 5.50 a lb. at most stores in Indiana.
So, I started a little investigation to find out WHY ground beef prices were soaring.
According to some sources listed below the price of ground beef is due to the drought we suffered in the midwest last year. I have been told by “word of mouth” that we have a cow shortage.
Another reason that ground beef is so high is due to the feed that the ranchers have to buy for the cow’s. Because of the drought it is twice as high and very hard to find. According to this source the price of beef may not go down for several years.
“When you have a drought like this and have liquidated numbers significantly, it typically means that supplies are going to be reduced for two, three, four years, and it’s one of the reasons why we’ve seen such a big increase in beef prices,”
Cattle herds are at their all time lowest since the 1950’s. Due to the drought and food prices for the cattle ranchers have been forced to liquidate some of their cattle. Thus giving us less cattle which is supply and demand. I have compiled a list of ideas that may be helpful the next time at the grocery store.
HOW TO CUT THE COST OF BEEF
Although beef prices are high and not expected to go down anytime soon, there are a few changes that can be made to lower the grocery bill.
1. Here is an idea on how to save money with ground beef:
2. When beef goes on sale, buy a large roast and ask them at the counter to grind it for you. The meat department usually will do this for free if it is not a busy time at the store.
3. Invest in a meat grinder. Look for a sale on Ebay or Amazon and see if there is one at a reasonable price. If not, put it on your christmas list.
4. Plan more meatless meals such as beans with cornbread and corn, or add chickpeas to your salad for protein. Chicpeas have 12 grams per cup of protein.
5. Buy another kind of meat such as chicken or pork. Pork chops are great on the grill!
6. See if there is a butcher shop or a farm close by that is selling their meat cheaper. It may end up becoming a better option to get healthier meat with no hormones. We have a farmer’s market that will bring cuts of hormone free beef to their stand. It is slightly cheaper than the store.
7 Finally, when beef does go on sale buy large quantities and freeze it.
Since there are usually not any coupons for beef products some of the ways listed above may help with menu planning or saving money at the grocery store.
When prices go up for a certain product we are not forced to pay the price that we are given. We have the right to choose whether to buy it or not. If you love beef , then try to go down to just two meatless meals per week. Moderation is my favorite word, and I tell my children ” Do everything with moderation”.