First of all let me say right from the start that when you have your children help you ….it WILL not be perfect. Ok. Now we can move on. I had to learn that lesson the hard way because I was expecting perfection. Now I just want it clean because with people in the house I can not do it alone.
Training children to clean properly takes time and effort. They have one idea of how mom wants it done, or they just want to get done and do something else.
Setting standards for them helps to give them something to reach, expectations to live up to, and a base for what a home should look like. If they are never taught…then they will not ever know what it takes to make a home “livable”
5 Quick Ways To Clean Your Home With Kids:
1. Explain what you want done. They are not mind readers. Be specific, but not overly picky.
2. Model what you want from them. How you want them to clean the sink from top to bottom. Remember if they are small that little hands do not reach some places. That is OK. Reach it for them.
3. Start from left to right. That is a cleaning tip from a former cleaning professional. Use one bottle (vinegar/water mix) to help keep the kids safe. Two rags one for cleaning and shining. Work the entire room going from top to bottom.
4. Put labels or pictures by the lightswitch or doorknob as reminders. Example: If cleaning a bathroom make a checklist of pictures for them to check off. Then when finished give them a skittle for helping! They will love it. But they love pleasing you more. Let that be known. Do not complain about anything.
5. Set a timer. Having a timer lets the kids know that the room needs to be cleaned before it goes off. Timer per room should be set at 9-10 min. When it goes off then stop.
Kids love to help, and training them is important. What training methods do you use? Comment below if you have children help you around the house.