Having a clean home is important to me, and so is homeschooling. For a long time I thought having both were impossible. Not anymore. Homeschooling and cleaning with a daily plan are possible with a system.
Cleaning routines, schedules and homeschool planning get better with each passing year. Over the summer I look for ways to improve my systems. That is when I found two books that changed my world.
The card system created by “The Sidetracked Home Exeuctives” rejuvenated my deep cleaning. Flylady’s book helped me with my routines.
No longer do I struggle with time for deep cleaning. By reading those books and creating a system that worked for me, our home gets deep cleaned weekly.
Not all at once, but I am ok with my system. My schedule works better than it did.
5 Ways To Stay on Top Of Cleaning:
1. List each cleaning detail room by room. Use a clipboard and notes to keep track of what is being written down. Laminate the list to be re-used.
2. Decide what time of day your body has the most energy. Choose cards that can be done in 30 minutes. Short increments of time is enough time to get through a few small cleaning chores.
3. Create the habit of cleaning at the same time daily. Setting this habit will ensure that each day something in the house in cleaned.
4. Index cards and a card file are the supplies needed for this system. From the list choose 5 chores for each day.
5. One chore per card. Write the individual chores on each card.
6. Complete 5 cards per day. Deep cleaning day pull only two cards.
7. Focus intently on doing the two deep cleaning chores well.
8. Cleaning should be rewarding in itself, but if it isn’t add some chocolate 🙂
Following this plan will keep your home in order, and helps with overall organization.
- Homeschoolers are Helpers
- I firmly believe that all kids can help. Any age.
- Simple, easy jobs work better than detailed ones.
Kids are great helpers and they LOVE to help. Let them grab a spray bottle of just water and a rag. Train them to help in easy areas first. Windows, mirrors and doors cannot not be wiped off enough.
Maybe turn on some of their favorite music. As homeschoolers this time could be used for singing, memorization, Bible time, etc. the options are endless. Youtube has a lot of great learning options.
My house may not be cleaned perfectly, but it is cleaned everyday. Once I let go of the excuses and just disciplined myself to clean the other problems worked themselves out. Perfection went out the window a long time ago. Children grow quickly and I would rather have fun with them than have a perfectly clean home.
What hurdles have you overcome as a homeschooler/work at home mom who stresses over a clean house?