When I had my first son everyone told me “boys are easier than girls”. Some told me that I was very lucky to have a boy. Well, I am here to say that I am very happy with my boys (all 3 and soon to be 4). I don’t have a girl to compare in child-rearing but easier in what respect?
When it comes to raising sons a mother must be gentle, yet firm. Kind, yet a disciplinarian. Loving, yet still a teacher in many ways. Boys have to grow into men that will support, protect, and become leaders. They need to be strong Christian men who will lead others to follow Christ. Boys have an agenda.
I want my sons to be loving Christian men who work and take care of their home. My hope is that they will marry wives that are family oriented and also Christians. So, my efforts in child rearing are focused on these matters.
- Boys like to be in control, but still need guidance.
- No matter how old they get they still like time alone with mom and dad.
- Don’t leave them out of special events and when they say that they don’t want to go make them sometimes.
- Teach them that family time is important and church attendance is not negotiable.
- Sit down with them and negotiate what they control and do not control. For example, video games are OK, and they may be played, but not longer than 90 minutes. If they want longer then they will have to earn that time.
- School grades MUST be at whatever standard you set, and attendance will be 100%. If it isn’t then they had better be sick. Can’t stand up sick!
- If you homeschool and they choose not to that day, OK then sit in your room because I have things to do today that need to be done. Let them see that they are not holding up your day, and you are not upset.
- When they come out to eat dinner, politely show them back to their room and bring dinner to them. A couple days like this and they will be HAPPY to attend school at home!
- One more thing…even when they don’t like to be hugged, hug them anyway and tell them how much you still love them and how proud you are!
- Pray for them daily. Pray for their future and what it holds. Pray for them to make good decisions in finding a wife.
Raising boys means your home will be full of energy, excitement, trucks, cars and more.
Move out the coffee tables,breakables or decorations and give them room to get their energy out. Sit down and have fun with your boys. Build a relationship with them that will NOT be broken as they age.
Moms cannot be pushover’s or overindulge requests, and must be firm in their decisions to let their no mean no, and yes mean yes. Moms and Dads can give lots of love and guidance.
Any thoughts that you would like for my reader’s to see please add them in the comments!